Youth in Philanthropy
For many years Wheelchair Foundation has been bringing the plight of the disabled and less fortunate to the eyes of the world. Among those who have responded with the desire to help others in need, the youth of America have certainly been doing their part to see that friends, relatives – and often times people they may never meet in person – receive help, relief and opportunity in the form of a wheelchair. The following is list is how some of our young supporters are getting involved:
- The San Diego State University Greek system will be fundraising with a goal of raising $60,000, which will generously be matched by the Rotary Club of Conejo Valley, California. To learn more about their efforts, and their trip to Columbia last year, check out this website and follow it to the video: http://www.sa.sdsu.edu/atstate/2008-09/feature-1.html
- The Cal Poly SLO Chapter of the Wheelchair Foundation is onboard again and have stated that they intend to exceed last year’s fundraising total of $150,000.
- “Rock the Block” students from BYU continue their fundraising efforts by hosting a series of concerts throughout the state of Utah to benefit Wheelchair Foundation.
- Alpha Phi Omega, a national college service fraternity with over 360 unique chapters nationwide, has chosen Wheelchair Foundation to be the primary beneficiary for their National Service Week this fall.
- Stanford University is creating their own chapter of Wheelchair Foundation to sponsor wheelchairs for people around the world.
- Students from over 50 schools in Pleasanton, San Ramon, Alamo, Danville, Hayward and Oakland, California are raising money for wheelchairs. This “From the Heart – Schools Program” helps to raise awareness about the need for mobility around the world and incorporates different aspects of the program into the Service Learning Curriculum. Click Here to read the story of one Pleasanton Schools experience.
Back to School Program
By guiding children to develop an interest in philanthropy while they are young, you are creating a passion that will carry over into adulthood, bringing with it a new generation of givers. The “Back to School” program offered by the Wheelchair Foundation gives students the opportunity to think creatively and fundraise to help put children around the world with no mobility into wheelchairs so that they are able to take part in everyday activities most children take for granted, such as going to school. This is an incredible opportunity for students to learn the direct impact of their philanthropic contributions by raising funds to send one child back to school, one wheelchair at a time. To learn more about the “Back to School Program” or other opportunities to get involved, contact us at (877)378-3839 or firstname.lastname@example.org